Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Boots To Asses Time


What can I say I'm a wrestling fan and have been since the good ole days when Ultimate Warrior was shaking the ring ropes and Hulk Hogan was delivering leg drops and B graded Hollywood movies like Suburban Commando, which I am still waiting on a sequel for.  I'm sure I'm note the only one right?  However if there was one person who personified the "Attitude Era" not named Stone Cold Steve Austin, it would have to be Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Though he disappeared for a while to make something Hulk Hogan never could quite accomplish, quality (for the most part) Hollywood movies, he is now somewhat back in the wrestling picture and is as charismatic as ever.  When trying to decide what my first post should be titled one of The Rock's latest slogans "Boots to Asses" just stuck out like a sore thumb as it is such a great motto for training and getting motivated in accomplishing something as challenging as Tough Mudder that I just couldn't resist the lure.  Sorry for copyright infringement Dwayne (Don't sue me bro) but I would guess that if you ever stumbled upon this blog you would say this would be okay as I am running not only for my own personal benefit, but to help benefit a foundation that gives back to our country's veterans, The Wounded Warrior Project So again, thanks for the slogan to help jumpstart this blog and my training Rock!



Having got the introduction to this blog out of the way, it's time to discuss why am I writing this blog and even more so why the hell am I determined to run, climb, crawl, and do other numerous things to finish the 12 mile Tough Mudder course in my home state of Kentucky in less then 3 months time.  When I first signed up for Tough Mudder a few months ago I looked at this as a challenge to myself to accomplish something that it seems does not have a 100% completion rate.  I would not say there are horror stories involving Tough Mudder, but the consensus is clear, this is not something you can half ass and expect to complete if you have not conditioned your body for the obstacles it will endure for around a 3 hour time frame. Considering I hate running as much as I hate Tennessee Orange, I knew this would not be an easy task and something that upon completing I will probably feel the effects for several days afterwards.  
However, signing up for this as a personal conquest is just a small thing considering what else completing this Tough Mudder means to me.  I am fortunate enough that I have several friends from my old dojo (What's up Budokai Mudders!)  back home who are also willing to share in the pain with me as well in accomplishing one of the main objectives of Tough Mudder is, a group building experience. For the past several months we have encouraged each other through Facebook to keep striving during training and that we are in this together.  Having moved over 4 hours away I can say that I miss the camaraderie that exists between this group of guys not only inside the dojo, but outside as well.  Though I do visit as much as I can on each return trip back home, words can not describe how much being associated with Bluegrass Budokai has meant to me for the past several years.  
Moving on from the personal, group experience.  There is an even bigger reason why I am running Tough Mudder.  As described in the intro Tough Mudder has been great in helping raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project which is one of my favorite charity foundations.  Though I have never served in the military I believe it is instrumental that our country recognizes the sacrifices our soldiers have made so that we can express the freedoms that we have on a day to day basis.  There are too many stories out there about veterans being lost in the system when they return home and not being able to get the medical attention they deserve.  One of the best things about Tough Mudder is the fact they allow each participant the individual donation page (https://register.toughmudder.com/fundraising/donate.aspx?event=7329...)   I know whatever money I raise will be a drop in the bucket to help the millions of veterans who need our assistance, but at the same time I realize it's a start and for a good cause and that is something I can get motivated for.  
Finally to tie all these things together, one of the last reasons why I'm running Tough Mudder is for the memory of a friend who was not only believed in duty to your country, but someone who believed in the Wounded Warrior Program as well, Adam Morefield.  Hope to make you proud my friend!  

I will update this page hopefully pretty regularly regarding my training and insight on how I plan to tackle the Kentucky Tough Mudder in October....which speaking of, I have to go right now to complete some cycling to help with the cardio...."Boots to Asses" that's the old saying right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment